North East Foliar Sampling Program using Firearms
June 11, 2020
HVP Northern Region will shortly be commencing our annual foliar sampling program to determine the nutritional requirements of our plantation. We are currently planning to commence in the week starting 15th June 2020. As part of this program firearms will be used to collect samples from older trees.
Sampling is subject to suitable weather conditions and will be conducted during business hours at some stage over two weeks. It is anticipated that sampling will take only a few hours in each area. Please be aware that shots may be heard as we conduct this work.
HVP will ensure that the operation is conducted without danger, and with minimal disturbance to the public. This will be achieved by:
- Using firearms only where other options are not practicable, and then only using shotguns (which only have a short range).
- Locating sample points away from residential areas.
- Directing shots only into the air and away from private property.
- Ensuring that firearms are registered and that operators hold appropriate firearms licences.
- Ensuring that firearms safety code and firearm regulations are known and adhered to at all times.
- Notifying the Police and neighbours who may be affected by the programme.
Maps of the planned areas to be sampled are linked below.
As always please contact our office or the Police if you see any suspicious activities in the plantation. Any enquiries with regard to this program can be directed to our Myrtleford office on 03-5731 2000, or Richard Mailer (Northern Region Silviculture Manager) on 0429 177044.
©2014 Hancock Victorian Plantations